Mount Olive NJ Marijuana Possession Lawyers
Drug Charges Defense Attorneys with offices in Morristown, New Jersey
As more and more people use marijuana, many states are beginning to legalize the drug. But NJ is not one of those states. In NJ, marijuana possession remains a serious offense that can subject offenders to severe punishments, including prison time (unless you were legally prescribed the drug by a physician). Simple possession of marijuana is probably the most common charge issued in Morris County NJ.
If you or a loved one has been charged with a drug-related offense in NJ, the experienced Morristown NJ simple possession of marijuana defense lawyers at the Tormey Law Firm, LLC can help. Our drug defense attorneys have extensive experience in Morris County NJ courtrooms representing clients charged with drug-related offenses, including simple possession of marijuana, possession of prescription drugs, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Call us today at 866-949-6948 for a free consultation.
Possession of Marijuana Lawyer in Parsippany NJ
Simple possession of marijuana is governed under N.J.S.A. 2C:35-10(a)(4). According to the statute, it is unlawful for any person to either actually or constructively possess 50 grams or less of marijuana.
The statute refers to different kinds of “possession.” A person may be charged with simple possession of marijuana even if he or she does not actually have the marijuana on his or her person.
- “Actual possession” means that the defendant had physical possession of the marijuana at the time of the arrest. The most obvious example is when the defendant had the marijuana on his or her person. Another example is when the defendant had the marijuana hidden in a bag or pocketbook.
- “Constructive possession” means that the defendant did not have physical possession of the marijuana when he or she was arrested but was nonetheless aware of the marijuana’s whereabouts and had control over the marijuana. This is most common when the defendant had the marijuana hidden in the trunk of a car.
Penalties for Possession of Marijuana under 50 Grams in NJ
Simple possession of marijuana under 50 grams is classified as a disorderly persons offense. This means that the case will be handled in the local municipal court of the municipality in which the crime was allegedly committed. A conviction for a disorderly persons offense can result in severe penalties, including:
- A sentence of up to six (6) months in the county jail and a $1,000.00 fine.
- A six-month suspension of the defendant’s driving privileges in the state of NJ.
- A drug conviction on the defendant’s permanent criminal record. This can make it more difficult to secure a job in the future.
Contact a Madison NJ Marijuana Possession Defense Attorney Today
If you’ve been charged with marijuana possession, we can help. The drug defense team at the Tormey Law Firm includes a former Morris County prosecutor who has experience prosecuting drug cases. Having a former prosecutor on staff gives us insight into how the other side thinks and makes it easier for us to formulate defense strategies to help you beat your marijuana possession charges. We also understand the nuances of courtroom procedure in Morris County NJ, which enables us to seek sentencing alternatives on your behalf. For instance, if you have never been convicted of a drug charge in NJ, we may be able to get you accepted into a diversionary program such as the conditional discharge program. If you are accepted into this program, you will avoid jail time and keep your permanent criminal record clean.
The Tormey Law Firm, LLC has an office conveniently located in Morristown NJ, so we are available immediately to assist you. For a free consultation about your marijuana possession charge, contact us anytime at 866-949-6948 or use our online contact form. One of our skilled drug crime defense lawyers will be happy to speak with you about your case and discuss your legal options.