Morris County NJ Felony Lawyers
Criminal Defense Attorneys in Morristown, New Jersey
If you’ve been charged with a crime in Morris County, New Jersey, contact the aggressive criminal defense lawyers at the Tormey Law Firm. Our firm’s founding partner, Travis J. Tormey, has handled thousands of criminal cases throughout New Jersey. He’s successfully represented countless clients charged with aggravated assault, marijuana distribution, and weapons possession in Morris County Superior Court. Prior to starting the Tormey Law Firm, Mr. Tormey worked at the United States Attorney’s Office in a variety of areas, including the gang task force, sex crimes unit, and white collar crimes units.
Another one of our firm’s partners, Alissa D. Hascup, served with the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office for years before joining the Tormey Law Firm. As a Morris County prosecutor, Ms. Hascup successfully represented the State of New Jersey at numerous trials, including attempted murder and aggravated assault cases. Ms. Hascup is also a former Morris County Municipal Prosecutor.
The criminal defense lawyers at the Tormey Law Firm appear in courts throughout Morris County on a daily basis. Contact us 24 hours a day at 866-949-6948, or simply use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation about your case.
Skilled Morris County NJ Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Our trial team includes a former Morris County municipal prosecutor who handles all kinds of criminal cases, including simple assault, DWI, and disorderly conduct.This gives us the edge we need to help you beat your case.
- We also have a former Morris County assistant prosecutor on staff. Some of her trials included attempted murder, burglary, and distribution of 350 pounds of marijuana.
- We have an office conveniently located in Morris County, which means that we are always available for an in-person consultation.
- Our firm’s managing partner has successfully represented thousands of clients and appears in courts throughout Morris County on a daily basis. Check out his Morris County blog.
- Our managing partner’s vast experience led to him being quoted in the Asbury Park Press as a legal authority on Megan’s Law and sex offenses in New Jersey. He has also been featured in an article in The Daily Record on shoplifting and the immigration consequences of a shoplifting conviction.
- Our DWI defense team includes an Alcotest 7110 certified DWI defense lawyer, one of only a handful of attorneys in the entire state who are certified on the breath-testing machine.
What is the Difference between Municipal and Superior Courts in NJ?
Local municipal courts throughout Morris County typically handle minor criminal matters, traffic summonses, and borough or township ordinance violations. More serious criminal offenses involving jail exposure greater than six (6) months are initially processed in local municipal court before being turned over to the Morris County Prosecutor and sent to Morris County Superior Court. The Morris County Superior Court handles all indictable felony charges. The court offers diversionary programs that allow a defendant to avoid a criminal record. These diversionary programs include the Drug Court Program and Pre-Trial Intervention.
Morris County Superior Court Criminal Charges
Morris County is the most populous county in New Jersey, with a growing population of more than 900,000 people. Morris County is located in the northeast corner of the state, just across the Hudson River. The county has a total area of 246 square miles.The Morris County Superior Court is located in the Morris County Courthouse at Washington and Court Streets in Morristown, NJ. The Morris County Superior Court is open for court business Monday-Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM, and the Criminal Division main office can be contacted directly at (973) 326-6950.For more information on the Morris County Superior Court, please visit their website.
Morris County Superior Court Criminal Division Information:
The Morris County Superior Court has three (3) trial court judges:
- Judge Stuart A. Minkowitz (Presiding)
- Judge Mary Gibbons Whipple
- Judge Robert J. Gilson
Other Helpful Links and Information about Morris County NJ
- For more information about Morris County, please visit the Morris County Website. The main phone line for this court is (973) 656-4000.
- The Morris County Prosecutor’s Office is located in the Administration & Records Building at the Morris County Courthouse Complex in Morristown. The office’s main telephone number is (973) 285-6200. The Acting Morris County Prosecutor is Fredric M. Knapp, and he is the chief law enforcement officer for the county. For further information about the Morris County Prosecutor’s Office, please see their site.
- The Morris County Sheriff’s Department can be contacted at (973) 285-6600. For additional information about the Morris County Sheriff’s Department, visit their website.
- Morris County Superior Court’s Inclement Weather Line: (973) 656-4314
- For news and information on Morris County, check out the NJ.com website.
Contact our Morris County NJ Criminal Defense Law Firm for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been charged with a crime in Morris County, New Jersey, you need straight answers from a lawyer who truly understands the legal system. The lawyers from the Tormey Law Firm appear in courts throughout Morris County on a daily basis. Contact us 24 hours a day at 866-949-6948, or use the online contact form to schedule an appointment.